Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Split a Hair

Alexander: Mom, what does “split hair” mean?

Mom: Well, it usually means “almost on the target”, something like “with very tiny error, it’s almost perfect”.

Alexander: I still don’t understand. What does “split a hair” mean?

Mom: Well, let’s check the dictionary. On page 1017, number 8: split hairs: to concern oneself with small unimportant differences, esp. in arguments.

Alexander: No! It does not mean that! I still don’t understand.

Mom: Could you let me know where do you see this? What is the sentence?

Alexander: I saw it in the Simpson’s comic book, Bart said: “Did I mention I can shoot an apple off the bartender’s head without splitting his hair? “And Millhouse (Bart’s friend) said: “he is bald, Bart.”

Mom: Oh…it is like an old cowboy show or shooting training trick, people put an apple on someone’s head and shoots the apple without hurting the person, (with a hand gesture to show Alexander) it means he shoots so well and it is on the target (the apple) and did not even make the person’s hair split.

Alexander laughed and laughed…then said: Millhouse (Bart’s friend) said “He is bald, Bart!!!!”

No comments:

Post a Comment